Sunday, May 2, 2010

Oliver Comes Home 03/29/2010

"Will you help raise a puppy for American Assistance Dogs?" was the question my husband and I answered with a, "Yes", when our friend, who has raised several dogs for AAD, asked us. My husband, Steve, and I don't have any formal dog training, except we have learned a few things from the dogs we have raised already.
We thought it would take a few months to find a pup. Surprise! Oliver, a 6 week old black lab/golden retriever mix was ready for us the NEXT week, thanks to a special lady, Barb Schultz, who graciously donated him (from a litter of 12 or 13, I think...)
Okay, here we go!

I will mention that we didn't ask Nellie, our 10 year old golden retriever, but we did try to prepare her for her new role as big sister. She didn't respond well....Of course, Ollie didn't help matters by trying to nurse the first minute he met her. He did not make a good first impression with her, but he stole our hearts the second we saw him. On with the adventure for all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment